New 3D Printer Project

Hey YYE forums, just wanted to share a little project I’m working on with a buddy. We found the Luftverk 3D printed spacer kit, and were immediately inspired to design our own yoyo. We wanted to make something organic, but with a majority of the weight concentrated on the rims. Instead of using standard infill to get the weight we wanted, we purpose designed hollow sections for mass reduction and mass concentration, while maintaining structural integrity. We’re using Onyx Filament, which is a Carbon Fiber impregnated Nylon that results in amazing strength, and toughness on par with aluminum. The plan is to take it off the printer and onto a lathe for some really precise, incredibly fine sanding for a smooth finish.

Calculated specs:
Diameter - 56.1mm
Width - 46.2mm
Gap - 4.2mm
Weight - 63g

Link to spacer kit if anyone is interested.

13 Likes

Looks impressive! I like the specs.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks! We’re both really excited to see how it turns out.

Very cool! I’m interested in seeing the end product and hearing how it turns out.

1 Like

First yoyo print is 28% done, layer 54/210. Only 8 more hours!

4 Likes

Here the last two I did. I do not use any spacer kid thou. Curious on your post production work.

2 Likes

About 60% now! All the snake-like structure in the areas that are supposed to be hollow are only there for strength and add up to less than 1g of total weight per half.

3 Likes

Here is an example of a “raw” half (left) compared to one thats had the sanding we tried (right) from a different print that we did.

About 5 seconds of 400 grit, 800 grit, then 0000 steel wool.

2 Likes

Those designs look really nice! What are the dimensions? Both look pretty significantly rim weighted.

Hey Brandon,
The one with the undercut is big:
58x47 60g

The star cut outs:
52x44 55g

If you wanna remove the lines complete (which I am to lazy for , I just wanna make prototypes) there is a technic with chemicals like acetone.

Two things I can recommend from my experience are:

• do not use supports especially inside since they tend to give uneven weight distribution which leads to vibe.
  • rim weight vs body weight must be significant higher if you want some spin time.
3 Likes

Hey! Co-creator here. The supports I put inside the hollow cavities were designed to be balanced in proportion with the spin of the yoyo, so they shouldn’t be too critical. As far as acetone goes, due to the carbon fiber added to the filament, they don’t really tend to melt well/evenly, so it’s much easier for me to chuck it on a lathe and sand it quickly with some high grit paper.

That being said, your yoyos look epic!

4 Likes

Sure try what works best for you. I made about 30-40 throws the last 6 month. So that is just my expertise.

2 Likes

For sure! Have you found they tend to work better with hollow interns vs slimming down the outside? I just got these off the print bed. I am super excited.

8 Likes

Yes I do hollow designs. But no supports since they wobble/vibe for me. But my designs are also more extrem shapes I would say since you have more or less a solid O shape.
Try it and let me know. I did a lot experimenting till I got my first result I liked play wise.

2 Likes

This is an O fixi I did but also there only the rims are filled and no supports.

8 Likes

I am pretty happy finally people starting doing more designs now. Hope this will drive the 3D printed Yo-Yos topic. There are a lot of possibilities. It is not a new thing but more and more people own a printer now which makes it way more exciting imo.

3 Likes

We now have the guts in hand and can test our designs! Deven sent me some photos and a video of our first print from the design we posted, and so far things are not perfect but they are promising. The yoyo has a bit of vibe that might be negatively affecting spin time, but it seems to be relatively stable on axis (does not seem to tilt, and resists precession until spin slows way down).

In the mean time we’ve learned more about the Onyx filament we’re using and have come up with a new design that forces even more of the mass out to the rims, away from the axis of rotation, as well as flattened the bottom section of the print to assist with the shallow overhang angles; all without sacrificing the overall profile. The new design also accomodates for Onyx’s structural integrity and should not require any internal supports to be printed. Overall, this results in a 6% reduction in mass, so it will be noticably lighter but hopefully much more stable.

5 Likes

Looking good!
Is this still hitting that 63g mass number?

Yeah, We’ve been aiming to keep it in between 63-66g in total. I’ve made a few changes to the design and removed the reliance on the nyloc nuts to improve tuning. I’ve been printing threads for about two years with great results thus far.

4 Likes

This design makes definitely more sense weight distributed wise. If you now skip the inner supports it should work just fine. From my experience you can even go down to 50g without any issue as long you are pushing the weight to the right places. My lightest is just 42g and is also playable.

2 Likes