MoonageMin's Trick-a-Week 2021 [Finished, check out TaW 2022]

4 Likes

Ok peeps i have a Q on the H hook. I seem to consistently hooking the wrong side?. The problem im noticing is after my ā€œhookā€ catches Iā€™m left with a Double on with a twist, but not in a bind and wrap around the index. Iā€™ve hooked it correct once in 25 times last night but in those 25 i think 15 landed the way i mentioned. Video attempts where totally futile.
Any ideas why Iā€™m hooking the wrong way? I checked my string and even grabbed a fresh one to eliminate torsion.

2 Likes

This could be famous last words.
But, I just woke up and saw a tutorial on beefhook (the Mr Matio one) and it seems doable?

My point isnā€™t that I think I will be able to do this easily, quite the opposite most likely, but itā€™s amazing how some tricks can look so simple in tutorials but actually is far from easy :joy:

3 Likes

I think itā€™s due to which half of the yoyo is ā€œhookedā€. This happens to me with iron whip and jade whip all the time. When I whip or hook the half closest to me I end up somewhat backwards.

2 Likes

I used to do this when I was learning the Hidemasa hook. It was literally the first trick I learned when I started throwing unresponsive, and after I had it down I could never quite figure out how I managed to hook it wrong so often, except in the case of the double on thing. Youā€™re probably hitting the gap of the yo-yo. Another way to mess up is if youā€™re not swinging the slack parallel to the yo-yo, it can catch the wrong side of just miss.

Youā€™ll get it. Watch the slack while youā€™re doing it to make sure itā€™s forming the loop evenly.

My first ever yo-yo video was my daughter secretly shooting slow motion of me doing Hidemasa hooks. Heh, I found it, so Iā€™ll post it. Was also right after the first time I knowingly had a herniated disc in my neck, hence the neck brace.

3 Likes

Throwing hooks with a neck brace wow! This is hysterical! But really amazing hook with or with it the brace. Exceptional cameraman!

2 Likes

lol, sheā€™s gotten a bit better since then! That was the first video she ever made and edited IIRC, and now she has her own YT channel. Itā€™s mostly speed drawing and memes, and speed drawing memes, but sheā€™s come a long way.

I should make her edit my yo-yo vids when I get back to making them :rofl:

3 Likes

So i just found this newish tut from yotrick on the H hookā€¦ i have been aiming for the wrong half of the yoyo!
Ithink this tut has some great angles and who doesnā€™t like a repeater.

https://youtu.be/Ce4PFvTQnF8

3 Likes

Hey, this tutorial helped me a lot, I could hit 2 in a rowā€¦ There are some mechanics that this slow mo presents that facilitates learning! Thanks for that.

3 Likes

Something very unexpected happens last night and I ended up literally saving someoneā€™s life. :scream:

3 Likes

Dudeā€¦ honestly i apreciate our email exchange last night but didnā€™t think it chat was that big a deal.

Seriously wtf happened?

2 Likes

In a nutshell caught a teenage girl jumping off a bridge in attempted suicide and managed to pull them back over and pin her down until the police got there

6 Likes

Owww boy, what a nightā€¦
Never tought about itā€¦ Saving someoneā€™s life, but I guess the feeling must be suberb.

2 Likes

Itā€™s really surreal. Everything happened so quickly and suddenly it hasnā€™t really fully sunk in yet

3 Likes

I was practising with really small strings (for my standards) cutted around belly button. And as some of you said, the control is enhanced, super fast manouversā€¦ I actually hurt my hand sometimes. So I played around 6 hours and get back to my original size (super long)ā€¦ And I could do the Beefhook over a Double or Nothing mount, soooo much Slack. Now IDK which size I preffer. Hahahaha

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure you got a ā€œgolden starā€ in you life notebook :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve landed 3 beef hooks so far. But not something I can do consistently at all yet

3 Likes

3 beefhooks and a life saved. Just another night in the moons world! Well done.

5 Likes

Damn dude, that isā€¦ Amazing. Well done, bro. Good Guy Moons!

1 Like

Thanks man.

I now need to learn how to dismount front a Beef Hook :sweat_smile:

4 Likes