String Marketing Question

I’m going to be selling strings soon. I’m almost up to 500 made since I decided I wanted to put my strings back on sell… (Yeah I have too much thread.) Any way I’m working on some 100% poly strings and I want to sell them in bigger numbers. Which amount sound more appealing to you. Keep in mind your buying off the BST not the yoyoexpert store. (There’s no yo-yos just string.)

100 strings for $19 or
50 strings for $10

Yeah I know the unit rate is better on the first, but does that seem like a likely deal that you would like. Feed back is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I like to buy strings that just work in large quantities so 100 pks are attractive to me.

1 Like

Does it have to be one or the other? Both options might be nice.

1 Like

You could offer 50-packs, and if someone orders two, then they could get the reduced price and potentially two different colors. Especially at first, people might want to try 50 before jumping in for a full 100-pack.

2 Likes

I mean sample packs are nice too. I feel like 50 strings is still more strings than I would want to get if I just wanted to see if I liked them.

1 Like

Yeah, but for $10, it’s not that big of a risk.

2 Likes

I feel like the risk is ending up with 45 strings laying around that you don’t like. Even if the money isn’t really a problem it might be inconvenient. I’m cool with the idea of 50 sting packs, though. I’m just trying to think of what other people might think.

1 Like

Big companies like kitty, can sell string at large quantities at low price, because they are mass produced with machines. That’s why newer companies like Zipline strings, spool thread etc. That hand make their strings, are generally more expensive.

Even is you are profiting, I think you should think about how you value your time making strings. Because that is a factor in the price too.

1 Like

Wow thank you for the feed back. A few items to address.

RISK FACTOR
I fully appreciate this idea. You may notice on the string trade thread I am throwing out the idea of having people try my string through a string swap. The risk is low and I can see what players are using while letting them see if they want to buy from me. (Don’t take the risk, try before you buy)
WHY NOT BOTH?
Decent thought. My initial worry was I would hate have my 100 counts cut in half before a serious buyer comes in and buys nothing based on availability. Though I think offering 50 counts may be worth it with the offer of 100 count specials being offered if stock is available.
DO THEY COST ENOUGH?
I have no plans on making a living doing this. I do it because it is fun. Higher prices mean they may not even sell. With this plan I feel like I stand a chance to make more money. Plus I feel like I make enough money when I sell.

2 Likes