Lubing Konkave bearing

So I’ve had this Konkave bearing since the 9th of october and I was wondering when is a good time to apply some thin lube to it, I want to keep it as unresponsive as possible, but I would like it to last a long time. Right now it is being run dry, so would it be a good idea to add just one drop of lube to it by now, or should I continue to run it dry?

Whenever. Now. Later. Never.

If you do choose to lube, do it ever so lightly. De-shield, and do the pin/needle dip method: dip pin in lube, touch that to 1 or 2 balls, spin, maybe repeat.

A completely dry bearing runs the risk of galling.

I Terrapin X Dry Play treat all my bearings. I don’t know what it is, but they run better, smoother, faster, longer with this stuff in them in my experience. I haven’t lubed my DM2 since I popped a Terrapin X Wing Cut in there over 10 months ago., and I play this yoyo a lot.

Unless its a ceramic bearing, as long as you only add a very small amout and wait till it breaks in, I don’t think there is a bad time to lube it.

With a YoYo that has a shield, would one drop work?

Maybe, maybe not.

One drop, a lot gets wasted on the shield itself. But, if you get too much, even from that one drop, the bearing can go responsive. Once that happens, you can either play through it or clean it out. With lube, less is often more, so try to go with a half or quarter drop, best you can. Add lube a tiny bit at a time. It’s best to be slightly under than over. Some lubes take longer to break down.

All liquid lube will slow a bearing down, pure and simple.
Not putting the shields back on to make it easier to clean is like a marathon runner not tying his shoes to make them easier to put on when they fall off…

That made me laugh.

That is a very quotable statement haha.

I have YYJ thin lube, how would one best halve a drop, considering it is a very small amount?

Drip the tip of a needle in it an touch it to a ball or two inside the bearing.

Touch the amount sticking out from the dropper bottle to the shield

There are numerous triathlon shoes that don’t have laces:

Plus, yo-yos don’t particularly need shields in the first place. They are not used in a particularly dusty or dirty environment and the yo-yo halves themselves protect the bearing from most particulate when the yo-yo is assembled. There’s about .0015" between the outer race of the bearing and the outer wall of the bearing seat on all sides. That’s about half the thickness of a sheet of printer paper all the way around the bearing. Finally, when the yo-yo is in the dirtiest environment, my pocket, the string is wound around the bearing and is thus covering the only gap that dirt could travel through to get to my bearing. The only real exception to this is the SPYY Pistolero with the six shooter holes.

Shields really aren’t all that necessary.

QED

Despite this, in some extreme cases, crud can get into the bearing, shields or not. My kid’s Protostar bearing got clogged with hair from playing in a barber/beauty college. Not sure how it got in there, but it did, and that’s all that matters. Keep in mind this is an EXCEPTION, not the rule.

As far as my preferences: Unless the bearing plays better de-shielded(yes, some will), I PREFER(key word) to replace the shields. Despite this, as I’ve shown, stuff can still make its way into the bearings.

Lots of people play with their bearings not having shields. Like mrcnja said, we’re generally not playing in dirty environments. Players who don’t de-shield have all sorts of reasons:
Don’t feel like it
Too lazy
Easier to maintain and clean
Saves weight(microscopic!)
Improves performance(again, can be true in some cases)

Doesn’t matter the reason. All that matters is the bearing still functions.

Still, whenever possible, I replace the shields on my bearings. That is my preferences and how I like it done. Feel free to deviate from my preferences. And for my yoyos, they mostly have shielded bearings. I might do some inventory and see what doesn’t and either replace the bearings or see what spare shields and C-clips will fit.

I play with shields simply because I play a lot at work. Being only 16, that’s a pizza shoppe. Being in there flour and oil mixes in the air and gets into almost everything. So in my case, I would be playing in a “dirty” environment.

well, this is all fine and dandy, but right now I have no intentions of deshielding a bearing that doesn’t need deshielding. Since I am only lubing, I honestly do not care for shields being on and off, if they are on, keep them on and if they are off keep them off, the only time I break this rule is if I were to clean a bearing, then I would take them off.

As for my bearing, since the shield is on and I’m not cleaning it right now, it stays on, so if you guys have any other ways or tips to get the right amount of lube on it without over lubing it (with the shield on of course) than that would be most appreciated.

Thanks studio for that tip as well :slight_smile:

So funny to see the responses…

I have a Pistolero with the six shooter holes have run it without shields for over a year and stock bearing. Cleaned it maybe twice.

Then just live with it. Otherwise de-shield and lube it correctly.

Yup. That. Exactly.

Either do it right or don’t bother. The current trend of wrong lube/cleaning and lazy maintenance is kind of saddening. People need to just take the time and effort to use the right products and methods to do the job right.

I’m sorry I didn’t mean to come off as lazy, I honestly thought it was unnecessary to de-shield the yoyo before I lubed it. Honest mistake, I simply thought it was preference like you guys were talking about :frowning:

You have to de-shield a bearing to clean it. Otherwise, where is the bad stuff going to go? Not far!

To lube it, it depends on how you lube things. If lubing with the shields off, use the needle/pin dip method.

If lubing with the shields in, you can use more lube since it gets lost mostly due to spreading around on the shield, and then a little bit seeps around and gets to the balls and race area.

You CANNOT clean a bearing with lube. YYJ thin lube breaks down YYJ thick lube, but does not clean it out.