I like loud bearings, what's the lifespan of a dry bearing?

So I like loud bearings actually i HATE when it’s quite but at the same time I’m a afraid that my bearing would get rusty so does cleaning it solve the problem?? And if not what’s the average life of a dry bearing??

depends on how much you use it, I have a few throws I have never cleaned the bearings, and I’ve had them about a year but only use them a few times a week. I don’t think it will rust unless you get water on it

Attempted yoyoing underwater while in a pool on vacation. Didn’t clean the bearing for quite a while. Bearing was still fine. Don’t worry about rust.

1 Like

So here’s the thing, it’s just a bearing. If you like it loud, play it loud. If it locks up you clean it and see what happens, if it works great, if not new bearing. No big deal. I personally like a quiet yoyo but I don’t play a quiet yoyo for any reason other than “I” like it. Toy and joy are basically the same spelling for a reason!

2 Likes

I’m throwing a magicyoyo so if I bought another bearing should it be a magicyoyo bearing??

Nah it just needs to be the same size. Unless that’s what you want. Buy an extra and have one on hand.

So a regular bearing?? Or it has to be a yoyo bearing??

Sure a regular bearing is fine if it’s the correct size. You may need to clean it as many bearings from hardware stores are heavily oiled or even greased. Once cleaned you can run them dry and the noise they make will delight you.

So how often do u lube ur bearing??

1 Like

You can type any question in the search bar and find tons of advice.

So I like loud bearings actually i HATE when it’s quite but at the same time I’m a afraid that my bearing would get rusty so does cleaning it solve the problem??

1 Like

In 3 years I’ve never had a rusty bearing. Some bearing brands make noise, some are almost silent. With metal yoyos most of the time you’re just hearing a metal yoyo in play. I’m not the expert here so I’m not gonna go much further. Just search the forum or PM one of the regulars who are way more knowledgeable than me. Some bearings come dry, some lubed. Sometimes I can’t tell. The world won’t end by trying a few small drops of lube and seeing if it plays better. I have never removed a bearing shield though. I just let the lube works its way in and then use a dry cloth to completely remove any excess lube because you do not want lube on your pads or to get on your string.

Got it thnx

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll get better advice soon. Thin lube for unresponsive, thick lube for responsive.

1 Like

Already know that thnx :slight_smile:

Whenever it gets too loud, I plop a drop of lube in it. Still loud? Plop a drop.

4 Likes

If you like it noisy, clean it thoroughly but don’t lube it. It’s safe unless you live in a particularly humid climate IMO.

Lol alright thanks

Wothy, I liked your post for ‘plop a drop’.

2 Likes