Good etiquette on putting yo-yos away

As a general rule of thumb, I make sure that before I put a yoyo away, it has a nice clean bind and no knots are kinks in the string. That way it is good to go when I want to pick it up again. No one likes a surprise yoyo to the face.

Are there any similar rituals that you guys have?

2 Likes

Yeah, I do the same, although sometimes when I get a knot I just put the yo-yo down and pick up a new one. I leave the string unwound so I can see the knot.

This only backfires when my girlfriend thinks the unwound yo-yo “looks messy” and winds the string around the knot - So I get to test my reflexes every once in a while haha.

3 Likes

I’ll do the same thing with the leaving the yoyo unwound. And I guess you can’t blame her for trying to help lol

I read that strings can hold moisture so if it is for long term storage I’d de-string it.

Do you de-tension the string as well?

1 Like

De torsion the string? Yes, I usually do that too. And that’s interesting about storing them, I have to remember that.

Yea in humid areas I’ve seen (pictures) of rust forming around the bearing when stored with the string on the yoyo.
Thankfully, living in the middle of California, I don’t have that issue.

Def always make sure the bind is clean and no knots.

2 Likes

As a general rule of thumb, I only stop using a yoyo when I get a very unpleasant knot. That way… every single spinning object I own is a disaster waiting to happen.

3 Likes

Reading this gave me anxiety lol

If you live in a minefield you’ll stay vigilant. The knots keep my mind sharp.

3 Likes

Psshhh, I don’t need knots to make that happen

2 Likes

I like to make sure the last bind is clean and relaxed. Not a fast or hard bind. I do not want it to be overly tight as I have developed a belief that my strings last longer and stay healthier (slowing of string getting thinner over time) than those that I store long term (more than a week or two) with a super tight bind.

Putting it in neutral tension before hand is a good idea as well but I have never done it deliberately before storing one bag in the bag.

1 Like

Try binding it without it being attached to your finger. Seems to be loose, relaxed, and wound neatly.

1 Like